Skip to main content

NANOWRIMO2013

Yo.
Back again.
So, question. Why do I only update my blog when I'm doing NaNoWriMo activities?

...actually, the answer just came to me.
Because I'm procrastinating. If I can pretend that talking about writing will actually make me write more... then yes, yes I will talk about writing.

So! Anyway!
NaNo 2013

I spent October doing this NaNoWriMo "Warm-Up" where I "wrote" (why is wrote in quotes? I did actually write) 25,000 words. I didn't limit myself to one project/story and that helped make those 25,000 words happen. Around... the 24th?... I remembered that the ONE THING (perhaps the only thing) I learned from NaNo last year was that I should plan my novel before starting it. This started a panicked frenzy (I almost wrote prantic frenckzy? Makes sense) of me trying to come up with a plot and characters and all that good stuff.

I was on the fence for a while about writing the YA Dystopia of my dreams or a Fractured Fairytale.
Then, I remembered that I
1) hate having to dedicate so much thought to creating a believable future
2) write shoddy fractured fairytales
so I decided to write just a regular YA novel instead, about this character that I've been wanting to write about for a while.

Ok, so, I'm not the most well versed in the popular YA fiction/fantasy/dystopians/etc that's being spewed out these days, but from what I've read, authors have this thing about making their protagonists so.... nice. These leading ladies are always worrying about other people and helping people and standing up to The Man and so on and so forth, and they're all beautiful but refuse to believe it when people tell them so, and they all fall in love so deeply and irrevocably with the first hot guy they decide to love.


I wanted to write... not that.

So, Sin Walker. (Her full name is Sinnamon, because I saw the name at work and decided it was an amazing name). She is... a bitch. A popular, rich, gorgeous, selfish, horrible person. Sin has simple desires. She just wants to be Prom Queen. She just wants to rub her high school success in all the other girls' faces.
She has a problem, however. Despite trying to avoid it, she's a witch, and her witchy witch powers are starting to show.

That's the super basics.
Obvs, there will be romance, conflict, and adventure.


I couldn't find the really AWESOME sign for Fort William, that had the two guys back to back, about to duel, but this is good enough. Minnesotans, you know what I'm talking about.

Uhhh what was I talking about.

How much Young Adult cookie-cutter novels infuriate me?
Nooo
Hmmm
You know, I would like to write a book that when (if) adapted to a movie, would have Daniel Day-Lewis portray all the actors. Just because... DDL...


What was I even talking about?!

Oh yeah, procrastinating.

Well, I think I've done a good job of it so far.



here's a cat.






Let's Get Writing!!!


Word Count: 2,888
Feeling: Why couldn't I find an acceptable DDL Gif?! That's not a mood. Or a feeling.  Um, feeling like cats are dumb.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superman

This episode has been brought to you by a bottle of Riesling So, movie #8 was Sydney White No need to worry, I brought it Genres: Some Geekery, Amanda Bynes, Fairytale Highlights: Amanda Bynes not crazy all the sneaky geekery references awkwardly based off Snow White Lowlights: They could've made her SUCH a geek her hair. the whole movie. There is something off about it. I mean, this movie is ok. Also, why is Amanda Bynes a genre? Mysterious. I sort of zoned out while watching this and read webcomics instead. Still, it's cute. anyway, onto tonight's main attraction (attractive man whaaaaat) SUPERMAN   Genres: Superhero, Action, Fangirl ...does the Fangirl genre count if I'm the only fangirl? yes. So, this is the story of Kal-El, who was sent to earth as a wee babe because his native home of Krypton was about to BLOW THE HECK UP. He is adopted by a possible Minnesotan (Jonathan Kent, I'm l

Magic Carpet

As it turns out, in Andria, three witches control the magical shenanigans that always seem to be happening. Is it super weird to have them travel by magic carpet? Brooms just seem ridiculously inconvenient, not to mention uncomfortable, and really not practical for traveling long distances. I mean, not like a magic carpet's super practical either.

Three Witches

Let's be real; I'm not good at blogging. Still, I decided to put up an update for the world to enjoy! The cover for Andrian Adventures is in the works, and I've now finished one whole chapter of Part Two, which probably gets me a huge celebration, and maybe a trip to Lion's Tap. This means that I now have one chapter and two half chapters completed, which is exciting stuff, you know, considering that I've been "working" on Part Two since... June. Also, I was at the library today (when am I not at the library?) and re-discovered all of my teenage-hood author crushes. Notably Patricia C. Wrede, who I'm still willing to fan stalk around the Twin Cities until we can become best friends. Disclaimer-- I've never creepily stalked her... well, only online, which doesn't count. Right? Right. It's fun getting back into YA fantasy... I think during college and after I graduated I decided that I wanted to read Big Kid Books so I've mostly been